~ inspire.create.share. ~ inspire.create.share. ~ inspire.create.share. ~ inspire.create.share. ~ inspire.create.share. ~ inspire.create.share. ~

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Three Rules to Always Remember When Stamping

I received this reminder from a fellow stamper and thought it was worth sharing with you.  I, too, am guilty of not trying a project or technique because it looks too difficult or time-consuming.  So keep these thoughts in mind the next time you see a unique project but feel a bit overwhelmed.

Rule #1 - Success is all about mindset.  If you've got it in your mind that you will figure it out - it magically comes together!  Okay, well, maybe not magically, but in my experience, the light bulb goes on somehow and I figure it out.  
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't - You're right."  - Henry Ford
This is usually with a new technique for me.  Videos and photos make it all easy, but then when I go to duplicate it, sometimes I just don't quite get it and then all of a sudden, I'm not quite sure what happens - but it clicks!  This leads me to rule #2...

Rule #2 - Never give up and persevere.  Okay, you're thinking - it's just paper and ink Ingrid.  Well, you're right!  It IS just paper and ink.  There are always two sides to every sheet, and if you don't get the result you were looking for the first time...try again!  
Albert Einstein failed 99 times and succeeded on the 100th time.
Do you know that sometimes I make the same project two, three or even four times before getting it right.  Bet you didn't know that!  Especially with creative scenery or a new technique. When I put something up on the blog or for a class, I want it to be the best it can be, and sometimes that means making a project numerous times.  And I'm NOT exaggerating...literally four times usually. I bet now you feel better...see, it's not just you!

Rule #3 - Take Action.  So how does this apply to paper crafts?  Well, something looks cool, but it seems hard.  How do you know if you don't try?  
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky
Simple I know, but I bet you've done this - sometimes I talk myself out of a project before because it... "would take too long", "looks too complicated", or "is not really my style at the moment".  Can you relate?  And I've gone back to projects that I had on my "to do" list years later and kicked myself for not trying it earlier.
So I hope these three rules help you somewhat today.  And remember my all time favorite - "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."  This is a phrase with which we are all familiar.  It is a proverb traced back to 'Teacher's Manual' (1840) by American educator Thomas H. Palmer and 'The Children of the New Forest' (1847) by English novelist Frederick Maryat (1792-1848). 

The original phrase: 'Tis a lesson you should heed, try, try again. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.' 

No comments :

Post a Comment